More than 50% of google search is done on mobile devices compared to desktop. This will definitely increase!
What does this means for your mobile website? It means that:
- The website has to have a RESPONSIVE Design. Basically the website can adapt its content to any type of device, tablets, iPads, iPhones, laptops and desktop computers.
- The website should be secure with SSL certificate. The biggest one, as of October 2017, Google Chrome will start to warn people if website is secure or unsecure and eventually will put the website at the bottom of the list.
- The website has to load fast. If people go to a website that doesn’t load and clicks on the back button google sees it has a negative feedback which consequently penalizes the website.
- Another practice to make sure the website loads fast is to use the Google Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) technology. AMP is a way to build web pages for static content that allows the pages to load and pre-render in Google search much faster than regular HTML.
- The header image should be small because people don’t want to scroll too much before they find the content.. That could be annoying and people could leave the site. Also text should be a readable size and dark in color.
- Don’t use pop ups, especially those that take the entire screen, because in mobile site it is really hard to exit out of this pop up. Also using too many pop up affects the ranking in a negative manner.
Do you have any questions? Drop a comment in the box below
SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer and is a certificate that encrypts communications between a website and an internet browser, making the communication secure from hackers. In the past, SSL certificate was mandatory for those websites that accepted credit card payment.
In October 2017, Google decided that the browser Chrome will show a “NOT SECURE” warning when users enter text in a contact form or enter text in a sign up form on an HTTP page site (ie. NOT SECURE www.websitesample.com). To know if a website has an SSL certificate, check if the url starts with HTTPS:// instead of the unsecure HTTP:// where “S” stands for secure. The reason why google came up with this is is because consumers demand protection of personal information. This change will be shortly implemented in other browsers like Firefox, Safari and so on.
Having a SSL certificate for your website also affects Google search ranking algorithm, which means that if your website has SSL it will be positioned higher compared to a website that doesn’t have it.
To add an SSL certificate to your website you have to contact your hosting company. The average cost of an SSL certificate is around $100 per year.
Latest statistics says that 30% of consumers won’t consider a business without a website. (Capital One survey)
All business’ should have a website, since people use the internet to search for products and services and if your company doesn’t have an online presence, you are losing out on great opportunities for your business. A website itself can be used to accomplish many different marketing strategies to help your business grow.
It is also VERY important, not just to have a website, but it has to be nice-looking, easy-to-use, mobile-friendly, include the latest trends, technologies and be search engine optimized. A mobile friendly website is a MUST. Even people with no experience in websites can tell if your website is outdated and that hurts your business, especially if consumers compare you with the competition. In addition, Google prioritizes mobile-friendly websites over those that are not in mobile search results.
Other benefits of having a business website are:
- A website is your virtual salesperson available 24/7. Anyone can access it at any time of the day and you can reach more clients faster.
- A website is cost effective because you know how much it will cost. With a storefront expenses can vary month by month.
- A website helps you build credibility with your customers/clients, giving your business the opportunity to tell consumers why they should trust you.
- A website helps to market your business online. There are various marketing strategies that a business can use, but it is proven that online marketing strategies are the most effective.
In conclusion, it is a MUST that a business has a well designed and functional website and more importantly, it is up to date with the times and innovative.
In Canada there are over 32.12 million internet users and about three quarters of them search online for good and services before they make a purchase. The internet is a vital tool to the success of your business and the website is the key.
Websites site allow you to interact with your customers, increase visibility and create new business.
Here are some things to look for to know if your website is performing well is:
Page Loading Speed: how quickly is your page loading? If your page does not load fast enough, you have lost your visitor.
Web Analytics: analyzing the behavior of visitors to your website.
Web Standards Compliance: determines the quality of the code built into your website and identify if your site contains any errors.
Quality of Your Content: search engines look at your content and build this score into their algorithm to determines its quality.
SEO: is your website search engine friendly? Optimizing the website for search engine means ranking higher on search engine which also increasing visibility. Good practice is to connect your website with the social media to generate traffic towards your website
Cross Browser & Device Compatibility: is your website compatible with all the browsers and mobile devices like smartphones and tablets.
Making these adjustments allows you to strengthen your online presence.
For any questions send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org